If you have a "man worth marrying" that you'd like to add to the list, please email me here. Just be sure to include the basics about him, plus his pros and cons so we know what we'd be getting into. (Photos are nice too.)

And if you want to add to any pros/cons list already posted, please email me here or write your additions in the comment section after the appropriate post.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Sir William Wallace

Basics:
William Wallace (c. 1272-76 – 1305) was a Scottish knight, landowner, and patriot who is known for leading a resistance during the Wars of Scottish Independence. He defeated an English army at Stirling and became Guardian of Scotland, serving until his defeat at the Battle of Falkirk. After several years in hiding, Wallace was eventually found in Scotland and handed over to Longshanks, Edward I of England, who had him executed for treason.
Pros:
Able to protect you in a fight
Loyal to friends, family, and country
National hero
Has a Scottish accent
Looks like this in the movies:
Cons:
Doesn't take a lot of baths
Gets bloody a lot
Always on the run from the law
Dies a horribly gruesome death (and you might too)
No AC, electricity, or indoor plumbing in the 1200s

13 comments:

Jane said...

I have never seen Brave Heart.

Arissa Mae said...

Do you hear the silence? The collective gasp of women worldwide? WHAT?!?! They ask: you haven't seen Brave Heart?!?

Oh, Jane!

(There are some major historical discrepancies, but the poetwarrior is true to form. Violent movie, not-so-happy ending, but hey! it's Mel Gibson!)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Brave Heart! The movie that made Mel Gibson every woman's hero. My daughter has seen this movie too many times to count! But what is with all these 12th & 13th century role models? They do not look anything like the film actor who portrays them. UGH!

Me, I prefer the modern man. Aren't there any out there that you can find with any graces worthy of featuring? Besides Jack Bauer, who is a fake, fictional, fickle farce? He is too, too superhuman to be taken seriously. Come on now, give us some reality men worth marrying.

Arissa Mae said...

Dreamlady,

Reality?

As I mentioned to some builders yesterday, I don't have a studfinder. :o)

Since you prefer the modern man, whom do you suggest we add to our list?

Meems said...

This particular daughter has seen braveheart once and until now I was thinking that was enough. With the reminder of the pros on this one it is encouraging a repeat.

Anonymous said...

Studfinder!? Good one, gave me a real guffaw!

I thought you were the blogger/author of the post, but I will contemplate your question and let you know if I come up with any results. There must be someone, somewhere - isn't there? If not, woe is us modern women!

Jane said...

I have tried to think why I didn't see it. 1995 was a very busy year. I spent the majority of it chasing an orange ball around a wooden floor in desperate hopes of becoming good enough to be offered a college scholarship. Oh, and technically my parents would have had to taken me to see it since it was rated R. (I know a collective gasp.) Now I have absolutely no reason to not have seen it in that last 12 years. Maybe I'll rent it over the weekend and see what the big deal is all about

Arissa Mae said...

FFFFFRRRREEEEEDDDDOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

Arissa Mae said...

Dreamlady,

Actually, it was the movie Mrs. Soffel that made Mr. Gibson my hero...so many moons ago...

marmee said...

not seeing braveheart is a modern day crime! this is my all time favourite movie! it is voilent but that is war. the love story is worth seeing and mel does not hurt your eyes either.

Meems said...

Gee, I just checked back on this post and saw all the many comments and had to poke my nose in again to say Mrs. Soffel was one of my favorite all time movies! Maybe the ONLY one I loved Mel Gibson in... BUT ... I do give him huge credit for the one he directed... Passion of the Christ.

Jane said...

Just for the record, I now have seen Braveheart. This Mrs. Soffel is another one that I haven't seen...actually never heard of it, but I might look into that one next. If nothing else this blog may cause me to make more trips to Blockbuster.

Arissa Mae said...

marmee: thanks for the comment! i do confess that i thought of you when posting this on Wallace...of course, in my research i learned that several of the plot lines in the movie that i loved most weren't even true. but i won't spoil it for you. :o)

mjm: be warned. you might not like the plot in mrs. soffel. :o)

and, people, are there really 13 comments on Wallace? What about my man Darcy!?! :o)