If you have a "man worth marrying" that you'd like to add to the list, please email me here. Just be sure to include the basics about him, plus his pros and cons so we know what we'd be getting into. (Photos are nice too.)

And if you want to add to any pros/cons list already posted, please email me here or write your additions in the comment section after the appropriate post.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Theodore Laurence AKA Laurie/Teddy

Basics:
Called Theodore by his grandfather, Laurie by his friends, and Teddy by the woman he loved most, Theodore Laurence was the charming, playful, and rich young man who lived next door to the March family in the novel Little Women written by American author Louisa May Alcott and published in 1868. The story revolves around the lives and loves of four sisters growing up during the Civil War. Josephine "Jo" March is my favorite character and the star of the novel. Jo is a tomboy who is very outspoken and has a passion for writing. Her bold nature often gets her into trouble...one notable mistake (in my opinion) was turning down Teddy's proposal!

Pros:
Literary, artsy, loves music and plays the piano
Articulate and well-traveled
Handsome, rich, immaculately dressed
Young and wild at heart; playful and fun
Intelligent and an accomplished lawyer

Cons:
A lawyer
From a dysfunctional family; won't go against the old man
Could marry your sister
Might grow up to be a Bat
Gives up at "no" too easily

7 comments:

marmee said...

oh how i love this boys passion. i agree this was the single worse mis-step jo took. our family absolutely loves this book/movie. we watch it at thanksgiving/ christmas time every year. every year i cry as if seeing it for the first time.
pros: having an impectably dressed man by your side (what a fantasy)
great upbringing
living right next door very convienint

cons: given to drinking when things don't go his way(since that happens alot in marriage a bit of a concern)
if i had a bat that looked like that i could be persuaded to become a bat-tess.probably not what my heirs would want.

Jane said...

Love, love, love the movie. I tried to read the book a couple of summers ago, but failed miserably. I just never could get into it.

Good pros and cons and I can't think of anything to add.

Confession- I am looking forward to seeing the Bat tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

I daresay I should probably not leave my comment, as I must differ greatly in my take on men. This 'man?' is way too prissy for me! He is wimpy, and acts like life is all about him! He wants what he wants and doesn't even take into consideration what Jo wants or needs. Maybe I need to rent the movie and watch it in entirety again, but just from this clip, I would say no! no! no! He is not worthy of a woman like Jo!

Arissa Mae said...

Marmee: Yes, you are right about that con: did fall heavily on the bottle! What a mess he was in England!

MJM: Which version of the movie have you seen? FYI to all: the Winona Ryder/Christian Bale version is on sale at Target for like 5 bucks.

Dreamlady: In that scene, Teddy is a bit wimpy in that he accepts Jo's "no" too easily (which I listed in my con list). And, afterward, Teddy escapes to Europe to get drunk and flirt with men, which is admittedly selfish. However, as to his not being worthy of Jo, I must disagree (politely of course!)...I think Jo was a fool. She and Teddy were soulmates. Best of friends. They traipsed through those woods and acted out dramas and got into all sorts of trouble together. Yet Jo was convinced that she needed something else--namely, New York City and a literary career. I think she could have published in MA just as well, but in demanding NY, she gave up on Europe, which had always been her dream. And, she also gave up on Teddy and settled for the stodgy professor. IMO, Jo had to become an old woman void of her usual exuberance (which Teddy embraced and brought out in her) in order to marry the professor. So I think Jo was confused. Teddy wrong for marrying Amy. And the Professor the luckiest one of them all! :o)

Jane said...

I have seen bits and pieces of the original and own the Ryder/Bale version. I probably should watch the original at some point.

Just curious...was that supposed to be "flirt with men" or "flirt with women"? I am thinking it it was "flirt with men" then that should be added to the con list! :)

Arissa Mae said...

mjm: You caught that? I was reading back through my comment, and I thought the SAME THING ("Uh, that would be a con indeed!") But I corrected my slip. You've got good eyes!

Anonymous said...

how do you come up with these? i would marry Laurie for the mere fact that he can act goofy around a bunch of women and not be too self conscious about it.

you are the character Jo incarnate. you even married a teacher too.

when i bought the DVD (winona ryder and christian bale version) of this movie a few years ago, it came with the book, but like MJM, i couldn't get into it either.